Sunday, April 12, 2009

34. A Dilly of a Death by Susan Wittig Albert

Challenge
Book Around the States
Texas

I have always enjoyed the China Bayles mystery series. I can't remember how many I've read, and it's probably been over a year since the last one; but they are fun and interesting mysteries. As you may know, China is a former defense attorney who cashed it all in to open a herbal shop called "Thymes and Seasons" in the town of Pecan Springs, Texas. A Dilly of a Death has the usual complement of eccentric characters who amuse and entertain the reader. The characters also seem to embody the spirit of Texas to me. In this book, the rich owner of the town's pickle factory disappears along with her much-younger boyfriend just before the annual Pickles Days Festival. Soon she is found dead, and China and her friend, Ruby, become involved in solving the murder as well as a series of robberies that have taken place. To make the books even more fun to read, the author includes recipes that fit along with the story as well as tidbits about the title herb. How does "Lavender Scones", "Rose Geranium Pound Cake", or "Dilled Beer Bread" sound?

Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about any food item made from lavender. I've tried lavender lemonade and didn't like it at all.

    I like this series, too.

    ReplyDelete