Tuesday, July 21, 2009

68. Silence is Golden by Penny Warner

Somehow I got the impression that this book was set in Nevada. I thought Amazon was never wrong. Unfortunately, the book is set in the Sierra-Nevada Mountains in California. So I'm now trying to find another book to read for my Book Around the States challenge that is set in Nevada. Rats.

Silence is Golden is part of a series involving Connor Westphal, a deaf journalist who also has the knack of getting herself dangerously involved in crimes. She lives in the small town of Flat Skunk with an assortment of eccentric characters. I wondered how such a small town provided a livelihood for Connor's boyfriend who is a private detective. Dan does seem to be the sheriff's right-hand man but I don't know how that pays. The book begins with the discovery of gold on a local hill and suddenly the town is crawling with tourists. Then people start turning up dead. I didn't really have a clue who the murderer was until the end but it made sense. I've never read a book from the perspective of a person who can't hear and that aspect of the story was very well-done and very enlightening. However, the rest of the story was just so-so for me. I hope when I actually find a book set in Nevada, it will suit me better.

Rating: 3

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book more. I loved it but the author is local to me and as a Californian, I enjoyed the Sierra-Nevada setting.

    For Nevada, how about Hunter Thompson’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Leaving Las Vegas by John O'Brien ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can it be fiction book? The book Just one Wish, the girl in the book is from Nevada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I totally think the Sierra-Nevadas work. I mean, it's got Nevada in it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a site that lists a few novels set in Nevada.

    http://www.bibliotravel.com/locale.php?locale=55

    Maybe you'll be able to find something interesting.

    ReplyDelete