Monday, July 13, 2009

62. Lemon Tart by Josi Kilpack

I have read other books by Josi Kilpack and have enjoyed them a great deal. She writes with a great deal of humor and insight into her characters. Lemon Tart is her first mystery and is part of a series of culinary mysteries. I know there are a lot of mystery series out there that include food and recipes and I've enjoyed them all. What I really like about this book is the heroine, Sadie Hoffmiller. She is a fifty-six year old widow, a little padded in the hips and doesn't always look perfect. She also is caring. generous, loves to cook and is the quintessential busybody. So when a neighbor is murdered, Sadie just can't stay out of the investigation. The results are often hilarious, sometimes sad, scary and unexpected. I really liked this book and the recipes look pretty good too. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a cook. Still I look forward to the next Sadie mystery.
Rating: 4.5

4 comments:

  1. I had been reading the Goldy books by Diane Mott Davidson but gave up on them. I need a new series that revolves around food. I'll look for this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good cozy. That's quite a good rating, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I don't want to add another book to my TBR list this one is going on it. The idea of a 56-yr-old woman solving crimes and cooking sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and I can't wait to read her new release, English Trifle, which just came out.

    ReplyDelete