Thursday, November 11, 2010

70. Widdershins by Charles de Lint

"Jilly Coppercorn and Geordie Riddell. Since they were introduced in the first Newford story, "Timeskip," back in 1989, their friends and readers alike have been waiting for them to realize what everybody else already knows: that they belong together. But they've been more clueless about how they feel for each other than the characters inWhen Harry Met Sally. Now in Widdershins, a stand-alone novel of fairy courts set in shopping malls and the Bohemian street scene of Newford's Crowsea area, Jilly and Geordie’s story is finally being told.

Before it’s over, we’ll find ourselves plunged into the rancorous and sometimes violent conflict between the magical North American “animal people” and the more newly-arrived fairy folk. We’ll watch as Jilly is held captive in a sinister world based on her own worst memories--and Geordie, attempting to help, is sent someplace even worse. And we’ll be captivated by the power of love and determination to redeem ancient hatreds and heal old magics gone sour.
To walk “widdershins” is to walk counterclockwise or backwards around something. It’s a classic pathway into the fairy realm. It’s also the way people often back slowly into the relationships that matter, the real ones that make for a life. In Widdershins Charles de Lint has delivered one of his most accessible and moving works of his career."  From MacmillanUSA.com

I have had this book for the longest time.  Maybe I waited so long because I wasn't sure in what order deLint's Newford books should be read.  I'm still not sure so I just jumped in.  He's a fantastic author who creates great characters and a fantastic world where magic happens all the time.  I loved it.  I do wish I had read The Onion Girl first.  Widdershins refers to events that take place previously that I wish I had known more about; but it was still a fantastic read.  Rating:  4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment