Sunday, October 03, 2010

69. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Kate is a fourteen-year-old misfit when she first meets Tully, "the coolest girl in the world."  The two become friends for life.  Even though Tully seems cool, she has all kinds of issues with her mother making her incredibly ambitious and hard-nosed.  As we follow the two through high-school, college, first jobs, marriage and child-birth; their differences become more pronounced making the lasting friendship more incredible.  Everything is not sweetness and light as there are several falling-outs with the inevitable reconciliations.  There are some laugh-out-loud moments, some sad moments and some moving moments.  However, overall, the book for me is just okay.  Tully was not very likeable for me and some of the things she did without understanding why Kate was so upset, made no sense to me.  She is too intelligent to be that stupid and blind.  Kate's ambivalent feeling toward Tully's influence on Kate's husband and daughter make more sense to me.  But Kate's daughter is such a brat.  Jeez.  There were also some headline stories incorporated into these two lives that just rang wrong to me.  I enjoyed it better when the two were younger and I thought the ending a bit overwrought.  Probably not a great ending for me given what's going on in my life right now. 
Rating:  3.5

2 comments:

  1. I have not read any Hannah books, but I think I have two on my TBR shelves. Have you read anything else by her that you maybe liked a little better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried a few of Hannah's books, but only one stood out a decent read for me and that was Distant Shores. I tried Angel Falls, but thought it was too sappy. Guess I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete