Sunday, October 03, 2010

68. Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

From back cover:
"It is Carnival in Quebec City and Gamache has come not to join the celebration but to recover from an investigation gone wrong.  But death is inescapable, even in the sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society--where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder.  Could a secret buried for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill for it?"
I already love Louise Penny's books but I think this one is the best one so far.  I can wait for the next in the series, but I don't see how she will top Bury the Dead.  It is so well-written with an incredible story line, actually three storylines.  I couldn't put it down.  Besides the murder which takes place while Gamache is visiting Quebec City, we also follow the investigation gone wrong with its tragic consequences as well as reopening the case concluded in Penny's previous book.  Even though there is a lot going on, I didn't get lost but just immersed myself in all it.  Fantastic book.  I really need to visit Quebec, but not in the winter.
Rating:  5

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that virtually every review of BURY YOUR DEAD has been glowing. I'm reading the whole series again in anticipation of reading this one. She does get better and better in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was not a favorite of mine, but I still believe her to be a fantastic writer. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete