Friday, August 28, 2009

82. Receive Me Falling by Erika Robuck

I borrowed this book from Booklogged because she gave it a pretty good review and I usually agree with her taste in books. This one was a bit of a disappointment to me though. It's the story of a young woman, Meg, with everything going for her when her life falls apart. She travels to the Caribbean island of Nevia to decide what to do with Eden, a plantation left to her by her recently deceased parents. The story than switches between Meg's present-day story and that of Catherine, the young lady of Eden who lived in the 1830's. I enjoyed the descriptions of the island, and was horrified as always by the ghastly treatment of the slaves; but, with the exception of Catherine, I didn't really find myself involved with any of the characters. There's a bit of a ghost story, a bit of a romance, a bit of a historical mystery, a bit of embezzlement, etc, etc. Some of the story lines are wrapped up, not always satisfactorily; and some never did come to completion. On top of all that, I found the ending to be flat and anti-climatic. The cover is wonderful and ties into the story, but this was part of the unsatisfactory ending. I guess the book just never quite captivated me which explains why it took me a week to read it. Rating: 3.5

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm really sorry. I liked it and thought you would, too. You did rate it higher than Poisonwood Bible, that says something doesn't it? I rate Poisonwood Bible a 5 and would probably rate this one 3.75. We're not that different in our ratings for Receive Me Falling but I say it was good and you say ehhhh. Hope you'll forgive me and I'll try not to recommend anything except really good mysteries from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a different books that left some unanswered questions, and I decided that although I like books that make me think after the story is over, I want all the plot lines to be tied up neatly and everythng explained. I want the tinking part to be more philosophical/psychological, not trying to explain thigs that happened to myself when the author didn't bother to make them clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOrry for my uncorrected typographical errors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have linked your review with mine.
    Please do check my review here. You too can link back if you wish.

    ReplyDelete