Thursday, August 13, 2009

77. Framed by Frank Cottrell Boyce

I bought this book for obvious reasons --- I liked the name. May I say it really lived up to my expectations? Framed is a delightful and funny book that is entertaining for kids, who will enjoy the madcap adventures; and adults who will enjoy the sometimes tongue-in-cheek humor.

Dylan is nine-years-old and the only boy in his school in the small town of Manod, Wales. His family owns and runs a gas station but it's failing. The whole town is painted in shades of gray and the inhabitants seem to match. Due to a flood, the National Gallery in London moves all its painting to the abaondoned quarry at the top of the local mountain; and Dylan strikes up a friendship with the caretaker. Even though the friendship is based on false assumptions, Dylan is able to take his mom and various neighbors up the mountain at different times to see paintings before they are shipped back to London. The reactions to these different paintings change the people's attitudes and the face of the small town. Dylan is such a great character who, everytime he opens his mouth, seems to insert a foot. Not that he realizes the significance of the things he says, but the consequences are hilarious. He has an older sister, Marie, who is obsessed with her looks but can also fix almost anything. His younger sister, Minnie, is a genius and wants to carry out the perfect crime. There are so many things going on in this small town and with this unusual family that you just have to read the book to sort it all out.

Rating: 4.75

6 comments:

  1. That's so cool that 'your' book turned out so great. It looks cute!
    We must read at about the same pace because I just finished book 80 today.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS your book! How cool is that? And then for it to be funny, delightful and colorful makes it the perfect match. (I know you're gagging at my syrup-i-ness - just cut it out!)

    I'm not reading at the same pace. Think I just started book #9. S-L-O-W. Actually, I have no idea how many books I've read so far, but I'm sure it's under 50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great storyline! I love the idea of the paintings changing people from the greyness they were in. It sounds like a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have thought that the book named after your blog would turn out to be so good?!? It does sound cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will love to read this book

    ReplyDelete
  6. im reading this book. IM 13 and its confusing so far and im on page 10 so.. i guess its my fault

    ReplyDelete