Friday, May 08, 2009

43. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

I have read other Pratchett books, loved them, and decided it was time to read the very first one. I enjoyed reading descriptions of key characters and continents and other explanations for some of the things going on in the Discworld series. I found this information to be very helpful because there really is a lot going on. And I am totally blown away by the scope of Pratchett's imagination and humor. Having said all that, I will say this book was not as good, in my opinion, as the two I read featuring Moist von Lipwig. Probably because I liked Moist better than the wizard, Rincewind, and the tourist, Twoflower. And there really was so much going on, it kind of lost some impact for me. Minor criticisms because the book was still fun to read. I am now reading The Light Fantastic which continues with Rincewind's story.
Rating: 4.25

4 comments:

  1. The first book in the series remains my favorite of the ones I've read for some sentimental reasons and happy memories attached to previous times I've read the book. My first time was as a tourist on a cruise ship in Alaska. The second time was as a freshman in college when I hadn't even unpacked my belongings yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read several other Discworld books first and then went back and read this one and thought it wasn't nearly as good. In this one he seems to be more directly spoofing other writers, whereas as he went on he found his own voice. Still, I felt it necessary to read every last one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review, Framed. It was good to read this one and get the concept of Discworld.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to starting this series. I've heard such great things about Terry Pratchett. The number of books in the series is quite daunting though. At least I'll have fun trying to read them all. I am glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete