Thursday, June 04, 2009

51. Agent in Lace by Tristi Pinkston

Agent in Lace is Tristi Pinkston's new book and a departure from her usual historical novels. I've decided that it's my favorite. Definitely written for the LDS audience, I appreciate the way she includes LDS culture in the book without interpreting it, just assumes we know what she's talking about. Also, this book is pure entertainment, no overt attempts to hit you over the head with Mormon doctrine. It's just part of who these people are and that's the way I like my LDS fiction. There's not much mystery in the book, you know who the bad guy is right off the bat. The conflict revolves around whether Shannon and her FBI agent/bodyguard can stop him from killing her. Great suspense there. And the romance included was just right. Shannon and Rick, FBI guy, meet but there's no unnatural sparks or explosions. Their attraction builds slowly but in a way that would normally follow two people exisiting under dangerous conditions. I really like the characters. They are believable people. Not so good-looking and perfect that you hate them, but attractive, fun, sometimes klutzy, willing to laugh at themselves, caring of others. People you would like to know. Except Mark, of course, he's the bad guy. And Tristi includes just the right touch of humor. She really is funny. Just visit her blog (see sidebar) and read some of her posts. My only quibble is with the rate of return on those investments. I don't hear about too many people doubling their investment in six months and I work at a bank. I'll have to ask our consultant and see if he can hook me up with something. Anyway, very minor. I really enjoyed this book. It's a fun, quick read. Rating: 4.5

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good even though I don't read LDS fiction. I really should give it another try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete