Sunday, June 19, 2011

34. Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear

My sister recommended this series to me so I jumped at a chance to mooch this book.  It's about the third in the series; and, after reading it, I would recoemmend starting at the first.  I know there is some bakground I am missing that would have added to my enjoyment of this book.  It takes place in London shortly after World War One.  Maisie Dobbs was a nurse in the war and then trained to do investigations.  she has left her mentor and started business on her own.  A young woman from a wealthy upperclass family hires her to find out the truth about the death of her artist brother.  He fell from the scaffolding while preparing for an exhibition of his work.  Georgina is sure it was not an accident.  Maisie is such an interesting character, very insightful but also questioning of her own motives.  The author also touches on the plight of the veterans in the city as well as the inequality between the haves and the have-nots.   I enjoyed both the mystery and the background.
Rating:  4.5

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite series. Yes, there is some background missing, and you would probably enjoy going back to pick up the information. This particular book is a kind of turning point for Maisie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! I read the first two in order, but because I read it through the library I wound up reading book 4 before book 3. They are popular and that is just how they came in for me. It wasn't terrible, but I think it works better reading it in order. There is a lot of backstory and such.

    ReplyDelete