Sunday, March 06, 2011

11. Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie

I can always count on Dame Christie's books to captivate me with a good mystery and some great characters.  In this story, we find Elinor Carlisle in the docks, accused of murder.  The case against is her is almost too good to be true; and Hercule Poirot always finds that a bit suspect.  He is hired to find evidence that Elinor did not commit the crime so we are taken back to the beginning of the story when Elinor and her fiance travel to visit an invalid aunt and the young woman who is helping to care for her.  The fiance falls for the young woman, the doctor falls for Elinor, the aunt dies, the young woman is poisoned and Elinor is the only likely candidate.  As always, Agatha Christie writes a gripping mystery that kept me guessing right to the end.  Just what I needed.  Rating:  4

3 comments:

  1. I picked this up at the library today, but left it there. She has written so many books, I find it quite a coincidence that you reviewed it and it was the only one I looked at today.
    Many of her books seem to have been republished recently. Poirot is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read Christie, but she is such a huge undertaking and I have so much else on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find Christie's books are very easy to read and you don't have to follow any particular order. This was my first Poirot book and I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete