Sunday, February 20, 2011

7. The Lottery by Patricia Wood

I know I got this book because I had read some great reviews about it.  The premise of a man with a low IQ winning the lottery grabbed my attention.  Right now, I'm having a hard time deciding what to read next, so I picked this one simply because it's a bigger book and hard back.  (Trying to make more room in the library by reading the big books first)  I like the character of Perry.  He is simple and good hearted, works hard and loves his grandmother.  What's not to like?  What I didn't like was the overwhelming use of the F-bomb.  After twenty or so pages, I called it quits.  Unless someone gives me a compelling reason to try this again, I will probably sell it at my yard sale next summer. 
Rating:  DNF

3 comments:

  1. I have heard mention of this a couple times, but can't remember any burning desire to read it. I think I will likely just pass on the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't actually remember the language, but I *sometimes* can ignore that. It just depends on the story. Perry is a wonderful character and Lottery is still in my top 2 reads from the last 5 years. If it's not for you, though, go ahead and pass it on! Life is too short to bother finishing books that you don't love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much obliged to you for some other educational web journal. Where else might I be able to get that kind of data written in such a perfect means? I have a mission that I'm a few seconds ago chipping away at, and I have been at the post for such data. soicauxsmb

    ReplyDelete