Saturday, January 01, 2011

78. The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory

Every year at Christmas, I like to read a few Christmas novels to help me with my seriously lacking Christmas spirit.  The author, an animal activist who runs a animal rescue foundation and a self-proclaimed dog person, tells how he becomes the owner of a straggler, half-wild cat on Christmas Eve.   First of all, it's not really a Christmas story so that was a disappointment.  Second, I'm not an animal activist but I found some of his stories about efforts to relieve animal suffering around the world interesting but didn't really relate.  But mostly, I found his conversations with the cat became a little tedious after a while.  I've owned several cats in the past and loved them, but I never felt like they were actually talking to me.   I'm probably not a good listener.  I did like the fact that the cat does not die at the end of the book.  That was a refreshing change from other cat books that I have read.  Several times I considered quitting the book mid-stream but did manage to finish it, just didn't love it.  Maybe if I had read it at a different time, I would have enjoyed it more??  Rating:  2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment