Thursday, June 24, 2010

51. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J K Rowling (audio)


I was able to purchase this used CD at a reasonable price and decided to give it a listen on my recent trip to Vegas.  I don't normally listen to audio books that have ten discs and so it took me considerably longer than the trip to finish this one.  I had just watched the movie a month ago and was surprised at the things that were left out.  It was a lot of fun reliving the whole adventure. 

I won't bore you with a synposis of the story.  Most people know what happens.  I'll just share what I liked and didn't like.  First of all, Jim Dale is an amazing narrator.  He has the gift of differentiating each voice so you recognize that character each time he/she speaks.  However, I found his voice for Hermione to be very annoying.  He makes her drag out the last syllable to Harry's name so it just got on my nerves.  But that is a very minor flaw.  I looked forward to listening to the book each time I got into my car.  The Harry Potter books are amazing and entertaining and so imaginative.  I really would like to listen to the entire set and don't even care if I do it in order. 
Rating:  5

2 comments:

  1. I have not listened to this one but did read the book along with the rest of the series and I have to say that it remains one of my absolutely favourites of the series.
    How sad that there are no more HP books to look forward to!
    Bon weekend
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about Jim Dale's Hermione. I'm in the process of re-reading the whole series by listening to the audios back to back and the one thing that annoys me is that his Hermione is WAY whinier than the Hermione in my head. My Hermione is confident and maybe even a little bit smug and no way would she whine like that.

    ReplyDelete