Tuesday, February 09, 2010

14. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Ten very dissimilar people find themselves invited to an island retreat owned by the mysterious U. N. Owen.  Or Unknown.  As it turns out, they find they do have something in common.  Each one has murdered or caused the death of another or allowed someone to die through their deliberate negligence.  And their host intends to punish each one.  One by one, the visitors are poisoned, axed, shot, etc.  As each character dies, those remaining start to view others with growing suspicision.  Their terror is so real.  They have been abandoned on the island with no contact with the outside world and a murderer is amongst them.  Who wouldn't be terrified under these circumstances.  How they try to defend themselves and how their artifices unravel makes for a truly intense story.  I was really rooting for each person to not be killed but as more is revealed about them and their particular crime, that feeling began to change.  And the final chapter where all is revealed took me completely by surprise.  But it was a very satisfying ending.   Although I've listened to several Miss Marple mysteries on CD and loved them, this is the first of her books that I actually read.  What a treat.  I'm so glad I have some more sitting on the shelf to look forward to.    Rating:  4.75

Catch Up Challenge

7 comments:

  1. This is the classic "locked room" mystery and is probably the one that began my love of those type of mysteries. It is a wonderful book. I wish I had all of Agatha Christie's book to experience for the first time again. I'll just have to read them again anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Agatha Christie and grew up in a family where she was very much compulsory - even so, this is still one of my favourites. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. I would also recommend "A Murder is Announced". I have enjoyed discovering your blog. Thanks for sharing, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how much I enjoyed this book many years ago. I still remember all the details but that maybe because I've seen it filmed too-the book was better of course. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love hate relationship with this story. I've been looking forward to reading it (I'm reading my way through all of Christie's mysteries by date of publication) and at the same time I'm dreading it. As a child I watched the 1940s movie adaptation (which Christie reportedly hated) and it gave me nightmares for years. This is definitely one of her more deadly thrillers. Yet it is an excellent work of fiction. Thanks for the review.

    Btw, I might be forgetting that you have, but have you seen the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge Carnival? You should link this post there for the February Carnival which will be running next week. (http://acrccarnival.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I read this one but it's been such a long time since that I'm not really sure. I'm quite certain I wouldn't remember the mystery. ;D (My memory is awful for things I read long ago.)

    Christie sure is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I did not fully realize what this book was about. This book is on my kids' school reading list for 8th grade...interesting. I was going to read it last year with my 8th grader and did not. Now I think I shall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't this just great?! I read it a couple years ago and still think about how good it was.

    ReplyDelete