Tuesday, December 15, 2009

121 Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

There must be dozens of versions of the Cinderella fairy tale, but this one belongs at the top of the list.  Ella is a great character who was given a terrible gift at her birth.  That gift curses her throughout her life as others learn about it and take advantage of her because of it.  But she manages to be a fun, intelligent, courageous girl in spite of the curse.  The story includes the standard fare of the mean stepmother, two ugly stepsisters, a handsome prince, and a fairy godmother; all much more enjoyable characters than in the basic story.  There is just more substance to them, bad or good.  I really enjoyed this fun, light story and hope that the other book I have by Levine is just as good.  I haven't seen the movie based on Ella Enchanted, but I heard it wasn't as good as the book.  Too bad as I enjoy Ann Hathaway.  Maybe I'll watch it anyway.  Stay tuned.  Rating:  4.5


4 comments:

  1. I have this one on order from the library - looking forwards to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is one of my favorite takes on Cinderella. It's such an enjoyable read. I own quite a few Gail Carson Levine books, and each one is fun and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. read this book and i absolutely love it! its so interesting, with love, friendships, and many things that happen to Ella, that you become so lured in this amazing story!

    ReplyDelete